At our Auckland International Campus, this programme is delivered through Future Skills Academy in a sub-contract arrangement between Otago Polytechnic and Future Skills.
- You must provide:
- New Zealand University Entrance OR
- Overall Academic IELTS 5.5 (achieved in one test completed in the last two years)
- Reading band 5.0
- Writing band 5.5
- Speaking band 5.0
- Listening band 5.0, OR
- Acceptable alternative evidence of the required IELTS (see here for NZQA proficiency table and here for list of recognised proficiency tests).
- We will test you when you arrive to ensure that we offer you the correct level of English tuition.
What you will learn
When you finish this programme you will be able to:
- understand the main ideas and key supporting details of quite complex spoken and written information on familiar and unfamiliar topics
- take part effectively in sustained, spoken academic conversation
- write detailed, well-developed and quite complex academic texts.
Your offshore, online study journey will begin with an online orientation. This session will cover introductions to staff, tips for academic success, and wellbeing information, among other things.
All courses offered at the Auckland Campus use Moodle, which is an online learning management system (LMS). The use of the Moodle LMS means that no matter where you are, you have great access to all your course content.
You also get access to Office 365, including Microsoft Teams. This means you'll be able to collaborate with your classmates and work on certain tasks which you have been given by your lecturers.
And, online students have access to the same services as students on campus. This includes online learning support, which will be available via Microsoft Teams. All online students will also have remote access to our library.
You will be expected to spend about 38 hours per week (or 300 hours per Study Block) on your course work. This includes both scheduled class time and self-directed study.
Study options after English
This programme prepares you for further study in our certificate, diploma and degree programmes. Find out more information here.
While every effort is made to ensure that this sheet is accurate, Otago Polytechnic reserves the right to amend, alter or withdraw any of the contained information. The fees shown in this document are indicative ONLY. Both domestic and international fees are subject to change and are dependent on the development and implementation of Government policies. Please note that additional fees may from time to time be required for external examination, NZQA fees and/or additional material fees.