Covid Update Feb 2021
Updated 23 January 2022
New Zealand moved to the COVID-19 Protection Framework on Friday 3 December 2021.
Under the Framework, tertiary providers can:
- Be open under the Green setting.
- Be open with public health measures in place under the Orange setting.
- Be open to those who are fully-vaccinated under the Red setting.
Current campus settings
From 11.59pm on Sunday 23 January, all our campuses will be operating under the Red setting of the Framework.
Our Dunedin and Cromwell campuses are open to visitors but you will need to show your My Vaccine Pass at the entrance.
The only entrance that will be open at our Dunedin Campus is the main door to The Hub on Forth Street. All other doors will be locked. If you want to come to our Customer Services Desk or access The Hub/Eden Cafe, please come to this specific entrance.
Please head to the Reception Building at our Cromwell Campus.
For information about our Auckland International Campus (AIC) please visit the AIC website.
On campus under the Red setting
- Show your My Vaccine Pass at the entrance.
- Scan in using the QR code (or sign in using the manual sheet).
- Wear a mask at all times while indoors - unless eating or drinking.
- Keep your distance.
- Wash your hands.
- If you feel unwell, please stay away from campus and get tested.
You’ll also need to use a My Vaccine Pass if you’re using any of these on-campus services:
- hospitality venues such as Manaaki, Eden Café and Hinaki Café
- our teaching clinics in beauty, massage therapy or hairdressing
- our teaching gym - Tapuae.
From 1 February 2022, if you have been invited on to campus to meet with our tauira or kaimahi, you’ll also need to show your My Vaccine Pass.
Vaccination requirements at Otago Polytechnic
From 1 February 2022, Otago Polytechnic requires all tauira (learners), kaimahi (staff), contractors and visitors to have a valid My Vaccine Pass to enter any Otago Polytechnic site.
Please be prepared to show your My Vaccine Pass whenever you come to campus to enjoy our hospitality at one of our cafes or events. You’ll also need to show your My Vaccine Pass to whoever you are meeting on campus if you are coming to meet with our kaimahi (staff) or tauira (learners). Online meeting options, or other agreed alternatives, will be made available where possible for those without a My Vaccine Pass.
This decision was based on feedback received during a consultation period and has been made to support the health, safety and wellbeing of our learners, staff and wider community, who are at the heart of everything we do.
What this means for studying with us
We've created a webpage which tells you more about our vaccination requirements for studying at Otago Polytechnic and how to provide your My Vaccine Pass.
Things to note:
- If you have an official medical exemption from the Ministry of Health, you are still able to get a My Vaccine Pass. We only need to verify your My Vaccine Pass and enter the expiry date into our secure system. This doesn’t tell us whether you are fully-vaccinated or have a medical exemption.
- In exceptional circumstances, we may be able to grant an exemption to our vaccination policy. Learners and prospective learners should contact email@example.com for information about this. There is also specific information about vaccination requirements and whether a programme is available for exemptions on each programme webpage across our website. Some of our programmes are covered by a Government health order and are therefore not eligible for exemptions.
We know this is a difficult situation and that people hold a range of feelings and thoughts about vaccinations. If you need support or want to talk through what this situation means for you studying with us, please reach out to our Student Support team. We are committed to ensuring that everyone who wants to access the life-changing benefit of education can do so, even if it means exploring online learning options.
What this means for working at OP
If you’re interested in applying to work with us at Otago Polytechnic, or will be joining our team soon, then you’ll need a valid My Vaccine Pass to take up the role. Specific information about vaccination requirements pertaining to the role you are interested in, or taking up, will be provided to you by our People and Culture team during the recruitment process. You can also check out this page for more information about our current vacancies and what it’s like to work at OP.
Questions about the vaccination requirements
We know you might have some questions about our vaccination requirements so we've created some FAQs. These are based on information we currently have and may be updated as further detail becomes available. If you still have questions after reading these FAQs, please email Covidfirstname.lastname@example.org
Events on campus
If you are attending an event on campus, you’ll also need to show your My Vaccine Pass. Your information will not be stored in any format.
Unfortunately, if you do not provide evidence of your vaccination status through your My Vaccine Pass, you’ll be unable to attend the event.
We recognise that these situations are difficult and would ask for your patience and understanding when interacting with our staff or learners.
Please email Covidemail@example.com
Unite Against Covid-19