Past and present designers and makers linked to Fashion @ The School of Design Otago Polytechnic make connections to their whakapapa and ancestry through fashion design.
EXHIBITION: Saturday 1 April – Thursday 6 April 2023, The Conservatory, HD Skinner Annex, Otago Museum
CALL for EXHIBITION PROPOSALS - from people associated with fashion at Otago Polytechnic, to be held alongside the conference of the International Foundation of Fashion Technology Institutes (IFFTI), held in Dunedin, Aotearoa New Zealand. https://iffti2023.co.nz/
- He tāoka tuku iho: the treasures past down to us from ancestors, those tried and true wisdoms of old.
Makers and designers with links to Fashion @ The School of Design are invited to submit one previously unexhibited piece of work – an object/fashion product/garment/digital artefact, that reflects the IFFTI conference theme of ‘Lines to the Past, Present, Future’, and their personal response to the article “Whakapapa Back: Mixed Indigenous Māori and Pākehā Genealogy and Heritage in Aotearoa/New Zealand.” (Connor, 2019).
Connor, H, D. (2019). Whakapapa Back: Mixed Indigenous Māori and Pākehā Genealogy and Heritage in Aotearoa/New Zealand. Genealogy, 3 (73).
- Each work for exhibition will also be inspired by a self-selected item with familial links to the maker/designer’s whakapapa/ancestry/past.
Works will be double blind peer reviewed and selected for this group exhibition by a panel consisting of a fashion academic, designer, and museum curator.
Selection will consider the dimensions of the installation and logistics (the designers installation plan, transport etc.)
Please note, due to space constraints, numbers will be limited.
ELIGIBILITY: Past & present staff, students, graduates, designers, makers, and collaborators with links to Fashion @ The School of Design; Otago Polytechnic; Aotearoa New Zealand.
Friday 3 Feb 2023: Proposal Submission for exhibition selection deadline.
Monday 20 Feb 2023: Notification of acceptance to exhibit.
Monday 20 March: Submission of final work and catalogue/exhibition requirements.
EXHIBITION PROPOSAL GUIDELINES:
A 500-word (max) written outline of your proposed piece of work and how this explores and makes connections with your whakapapa, ancestry, past. Include an initial response to the Connor, 2019 article, linking your chosen inspirational item, and discussing your connection to the School of Fashion.
- Please include title, date, medium, dimensions of final work, and the requirements for display in the exhibition.
- As separate files, include four images maximum of the proposed work for exhibition and your inspirational item - High Res JPEGs.
- In a separate file, include your Designer Bio (maximum 50 words)
SUBMISSION: IFFTI@op.ac.nz - please put IFFTI exhibition proposal in subject line.
CONDITIONS OF EXHIBITING:
- The exhibiting designer is responsible for technologies and specialised equipment needed for installation. The curators may have plinths, covered plinths and dress forms available.
- The install and deinstall dates will be communicated to successful exhibitors. (Around Fri 31 March 2023 install, Thurs 6 April 2023 deinstall – after 4pm)
- All transport arrangements and costs to and from the gallery in Dunedin, and full insurance cover is the designer’s responsibility.
- The designer must be associated with Fashion @ Otago Polytechnic.
Selected works will receive final exhibition and catalogue submission guidelines with acceptance notification.
Download PDF of call for proposals
Image credits: Designer – Libby Callaghan; Photographer – George Park, Model – Eva Meeuws
Published on 12 Dec 2022
Orderdate: 12 Dec 2022
Expiry: 28 Feb 2023